Vinyl Sheet Care & Maintenance
After your new luxury vinyl floor is installed, your next thought will be How do I keep it looking new? The right cleaning and maintenance routine will ensure the beauty of your new floor. The good news is that it doesn’t take much effort.
10 luxury vinyl floor cleaning tips
- Read the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions. This is the first and easiest step to a long-lasting, like-new floor. Yet so many of us skip this step. No one knows a floor better than the people who made it, so take the time read the installation instructions.
- Sweep or vacuum a couple of times a week. The dirt and grit tracked in is abrasive and will eventually dull the floor’s finish over time in high-traffic areas.
- Place walk-off mats at exterior entrances, both inside and out.
- Avoid coco-fiber, rubber- and latex-backed mats as they may cause staining and discoloration of the floor.
- Vacuum using a soft bristle or hard floor attachment and remember to vacuum along edges and corners. Do not use a vacuum with a beater bar or brush, which can scratch the finish.
- Use felt protectors if moving heavy objects across the floor.
- Use non-staining floor protectors, cups or glides under furniture legs to avoid creating permanent indentations.
- A mop and warm water will usually be enough to clean luxury vinyl floors. For more thorough cleaning, use a product recommended by the manufacturer.
- Spills should always be cleaned up immediately to avoid any residue or spots and stains. A number of common products such as nail polish, lipstick and permanent markers can cause discoloration, so any contact they have with luxury vinyl should be addressed right away. If you’re not sure how to clean luxury vinyl floors when a potential stain presents itself, visit the manufacturer’s website.
- Never use abrasive cleaning tools, cleaners or compounds.