Whats on your
Undertaking any home improvement project requires hard work, careful planning, and an understanding of the process ahead. You should start by coming up with a checklist and adhering to it throughout the course of your project. It can help to split your checklist into three stages: pre-project, during project, and post-project.
The pre-project checklist should consist of the following steps:
- Remove furniture from workspace.
- Empty closets and pantries if needed.
- Remove oven, fridge, and dishwasher if working in kitchen.
- Remove all items from countertops.
- Remove toilet if working in bathroom.
- Draw blinds or lift or remove window treatments if needed.
- If installing hardwood flooring, prepare an area for acclimation. Hardwood flooring needs to adjust to the humidity levels in your home before it can be installed.
- Plan to be home during the installation and communicate with the team as needed.
- Address baseboards and doors (your installers will know what to do about these.)
- Ask any questions while the team is onsite.
- Wait 24 hours before walking on your flooring.
- Wait 48 hours before returning furniture.
- Place felt pads on the legs of all furniture.
- Wait one week before placing rugs on your new flooring.
- Keep your flooring completely dry for at least one week.