Luxury Vinyl Flooring 101
Don’t let the term “vinyl” fool you into thinking this flooring is the kitchen workhorse your grandma walked on. Luxury vinyl, also called luxury vinyl tile, LVT, or premium tile, is one of the most popular floor covering looks today and one whose sizzle shows no sign of cooling off. Here’s your buying guide to luxury vinyl.
Luxury vinyl plank and tile
Luxury vinyl flooring falls into two product categories. Luxury vinyl plank reflects the looks of fine hardwoods right down to the depth of color and grain pattern plus coveted textures like handscraped. It comes in authentic board lengths and widths, including beveled edges and ends.
Luxury vinyl tile replicates the look of natural stone and ceramic but without the cold, hard feel underfoot. In luxury vinyl you’ll see the latest advances in digital printing and embossing technologies faithfully capture the aesthetic qualities nature’s finest materials, including subtle color variations and random veining. Visuals are a carefully designed blend of warm and cool undertones to complement any decorating scheme.
Features of luxury vinyl
- Design choices – High resolution imaging delivers unmatched realism in wood, stone, ceramic tile and trendy styles like brushed metal in a wide range of appealing textures and colors.
- Comfort – As real as these floors look, they don’t have the cold, brittle hardness of stone and ceramic tile. In fact, luxury vinyl feels soft and warm underfoot! And you don’t have to worry about dropped items shattering on your floor.
- Performance/durability – A protective top wear layer of enhanced urethane makes luxury vinyl floors resistant to scratches and scuffs. Beneath that a clear film layer adds durability and helps protect against rips, tears and gouges. Both plank and tile are water and stain resistant, making them perfect for active households with kids and pets.
- Maintenance – Regular sweeping and occasional mopping is all it takes to keep luxury vinyl flooring looking great.
- Anti-allergenic – Floors won’t trap dust, pet dander and other allergens.
- Cost – Luxury vinyl is considered “value flooring” for its premium aesthetics and high-end design features.
- Installation – Both plank and tile can be installed anywhere in the home, even moisture-prone areas like bathrooms and basements.