Laminate Flooring 101
If you haven’t shopped for flooring lately, you’ll be pleasantly surprised and impressed with what’s new in laminate. Compared to other types of flooring, laminate offers a number of distinct design and performance advantages.
Benefits of laminate flooring
- Performance – Laminate flooring is durable and exceptionally scratch resistant. Protected by a tough external layer and resin coating, laminate floors are long lasting and perform as beautifully as hardwood vinyl or carpet. Whether you choose low or high gloss finishes, smooth or textured boards, durable laminate is perfect for active households.
- Realism – Advanced printing and embossing techniques reproduce the stunning realism of wood, stone and ceramic tile. Quality laminate floors are so true-to-life with touchable texture, depth and convincing colorations that’s they’re indistinguishable from the natural materials they mimic. You have no problem finding the right laminate floor for your style.
- Endless style – What can you imagine? Discover it in a range of design-forward looks inspired by nature, art and fashion. Laminate also comes in a variety of textures, board widths and gloss levels to fit your décor or personal taste.
- Tough & durable – Laminate flooring is stain, fade and moisture resistant, and most manufacturers offer extensive warranty protection on these issues. Plus, laminate’s higher impact resistance easily stands up to pets, kids and even high heels.
- Easy care – Laminate flooring is easy to clean and maintain. Its tough wear- and moisture-resistant surface coating make spills and other messes a breeze to clean up.
Easy to install – With no special tools or glue required, you can DIY laminate flooring in a single afternoon.
About laminate flooring construction
How can laminate flooring so closely resemble hardwood, stone and ceramic tile? The answer lies in laminate’s unique layered construction:
- Wear layer – The clear top layer provides exceptional protection against stains and fading.
- Design layer – The design layers presents a high-definition photo-reproduction of wood grain, natural stone, ceramic tile pattern, or some other decorative material. Quality laminate floors use embossing in register printing techniques to intensify the depth, texture and natural look of the floor.
- Core layer – Made from high-density fiberboard or plastic resins, the sturdy core helps improve moisture resistance as well as keep the board stable and flat.
- Backing layer – A melamine plastic layer that lends dimensional stability to the planks and also helps guard against moisture from the subfloor.